- How did your journey with CrossFit Northland begin? How long have you been a member of CrossFit Northland? What made you decide to do CrossFit at that time?
Around 3 years ago, my husband and I were looking for a way to get in better shape. We had tried working out at home and struggled a little bit with motivation and direction, so we were looking for something that would be fun and also provide some structure and accountability. We decided to look for a CrossFit gym near our house, found CrossFit Northland, loved it, and voilà!
- Tell us about your fitness/health background? (Have you always been active? Played sports growing up? Tried other gym settings? Worked out at home?)
I competed in gymnastics for several years when I was young and then transitioned to volleyball in high school and college. As an adult it was more sporadic – occasional drop-ins to gyms, an intramural team here and there, workouts at home, etc. I am very happy that CrossFit has helped me bring more consistency back into my fitness.
- What are some changes you’ve noticed in yourself during your time at CFN? (Physically, mentally, capabilities, daily life, etc.)
So many! For example, I had quite a bit of back pain before joining CFN, and that has improved dramatically through strengthening, mobility, and just more movement in general. I have also seen huge changes in my nutrition – from fast food and desserts as staples to actually enjoying vegetables and lean proteins and other things that make me feel good and help keep my body happy.
More generally, I’m also far more confident in my ability to take steps to be healthier (change can be really hard!), and I view health and fitness as much more of a fun and exciting journey than a checkmark destination.
- What is your favorite CFN memory?
There are a lot of great ones, but one of my favorites was my second time doing the 12 Days of CrossFitmas workout. It’s done in the style of the song: round 1 = movement 1, round 2 = movement 2 + movemement 1, round 3 = movement 3 + movement 2 + movement 1, etc. The first year I had only been at the gym a couple of months and didn’t finish. The second year I not only finished, I completed all 12 rounds in less time than it took me to do 11 rounds the previous year. It was great confirmation of how much progress I was making!
- In your opinion, what is the most valuable aspect of Crossfit Northland?
The most valuable aspect of CrossFit Northland is the investment into each member as an individual. You are not a nameless face in the crowd; the coaches really take the time to get to know you and to help you move towards where you want to be.
- In March, CFN was forced to close for a short time due to Covid-19. At that time, CFN began offering remote coaching to all of its athletes. After opening back up in May, members had the option to return to the gym or continue with remote coaching. Can you tell us about your experience with continuing remote coaching?
Continuing with remote coaching has created some unexpected but very positive opportunities. Since I’m not attending group classes right now, I have been able to focus this time more directly towards meeting some of my personal goals. For me, I like to think of it as open gym sessions where I get to select programmed workouts and skills practice based on what I most want to or feel like I need to work on. The coaches have continued to provide high-quality guidance and support to make those efforts effective, and I’ve even been able to hit some new PRs and milestones from home! The coaches have been really amazing, and I sincerely appreciate all their time and help as well as their willingness to work with me to find the right setup that keeps me feeling safe, accountable, engaged, and connected.
BOOK YOUR FREE INTRO
In this quick conversation, we want to learn all about you, your fitness goals and how we can help you reach them.