- How long have you been a member of CrossFit Northland?
I have been a member for almost 6 months.
- What brought you into CFN?
I knew David in high school but I met his wife Julie in a production of Mamma Mia @ New Theater Restaurant in 2018. We carpooled and I dropped her off one day at CFN and had no clue what anything was. Then back in April I decided to leave the scene of aimlessly walking through a gym and wanted something more than just having muscle. I wanted to be able to do something with it. Learn new skills and be part of something different.
- Tell us about your fitness/health background? (Did you play sports growing up? Try other gym settings? Workout at home?)
Growing up I didn’t want to workout or be athletic at all. I didn’t want to sweat or get up to so much of anything but that quickly changed when I started dancing in college. I was a concert dancer for a few years. It was not only cardiovascular, but you had to be strong to lift a partner and then flexible enough to lift your legs but strong enough to jump and run. ALL AT THE SAME TIME. It was a lot. I’m also a self taught gymnast. I used to record (yes on VHS) gymnastics off the television and then slow the video down and see how to do the movement. I never thought I’d be as athletic as I am now. I started getting serious about lifting in my early 30s. I had always wanted to put on muscle and change the way I was in and out. I slowly lost interest in the gym culture. It wasn’t positive and some days I barely wanted to go. I wanted to have a different experience and that’s when I found CFN and started learning to use what I had built and building on top of that.
- What are some changes you’ve noticed during your fitness journey at CFN (Physically, mentally, capabilities, daily life, etc.)
My body has changed – The shape I’m in and the want to move from day to day. My mental game has stepped up. I am finding more times to dig deeper and find the wherewithal to make it through a workout and push to achieve now things daily! There are so many things I have learned here that I never thought possible. This place has helped me choose to be better and make better choices daily.
- What kinds of things can you do now that you were not able to do when you first started? (inside or outside of the gym)
I’m lifting heavier weight, Handstand push ups, Climbing a rope, I’m eating better, I’m making better choices based on where I am as opposed to fighting to get to the next level quicker.
I’m also a better listener. There are days where I do not want someone pushing me but knowing I’m in a community that will always push for success, I am so much better for it. SO MUCH BETTER.
- What motivates you and keeps you coming back for more week after week?
The community, the coaches…everything. I am the only one who is doing the work. I can’t be mad at anyone but myself if I am not doing the work.
- In your opinion, what is the most valuable aspect of CrossFit Northland?
Community. The fact that every single human who walks in and out of CFN is supporting each other. They want everyone to succeed. In life and in the gym. It’s amazing to see.
- If you could have one super power, what would it be?
Oh! If ANYONE has seen Avatar the last bender the series (not the movie cause we don’t speak of such things) I would be either a waterbender or an Airbender.
- What is one piece of advice you’d give to someone that is considering joining a CrossFit gym?
Don’t hesitate. Stay the course. Don’t run away from the challenges ahead. Be gentle with yourself but still push. Walk in with a fresh mindset and do your best that day. BREATHE. IF YOU’RE GOING TO SHOW UP YOU BETTER SHOW OUT!