1. How did your journey with CrossFit Northland began? How long have you been a member of CrossFit Northland? What made you decide to do CrossFit at that time?
I had completed a ‘Boot Camp’ training program at the YMCA in the summer of 2012, and really enjoyed the variety and style of training it delivered. Someone from the group mentioned that I would probably like CrossFit, as it was a similar type of training. I did a Google search and found CFN, tried an introductory class, joined in July of 2012, and have been a member ever since (with a few intermittent breaks here and there due to injuries, etc).
2. Tell us about your fitness/health background?
I participated in a few intramural sports but did not play a specific sport for High School or College. I started lifting weights my junior year in college, and have been doing some sort of exercise ever since that time. So, for many years it was just weight training. Then I got into running in 2008, and started to incorporate running into my workout routines (eventually completing three half-marathons). And as mentioned above, I started into CrossFit in July of 2012.
3. How has CFN played a role in your life outside of the gym?
Trying and learning new movements and skills at CFN has made me more willing to try things outside of the gym that I may never have tried – it has helped with self-confidence.
4. What are some changes you’ve noticed in yourself during your time here at CFN? (Physically, mentally, capabilities, daily life, etc.)
I have been able to maintain my muscle and body fat composition as I have aged, and am able to do any sort of physical activity that I wish to engage in without worry.
5. In your opinion, what is the most valuable aspect of CrossFit Northland?
The encouraging CFN community – whether that be fellow athletes cheering you on during a workout, or the coaches pushing you to get the most out of a workout – everyone is there with the same mentality and similar goals. It is a very welcoming community.
6. What is your favorite CFN memory?
I have always loved the weekend partner workouts (when that was a thing before COVID-19 ) and the holiday workouts…so my favorite memories are getting my sweat on with any of my CFN buddies during any of these types of WODs!
7. What would you tell someone that is considering joining a CrossFit gym?
Give it a try! Don’t be afraid of the unknown, and don’t be intimidated – everyone started out with CrossFit at the exact same spot (a beginner), and all of the movement can be scaled so they work for you.
8. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
‘Teleportation’ in order to eliminate my daily commute to work! During the COVID-19 lockdown, I got to work from home, and realized how nice it is to not have a daily commute – it gives me a ton of my time back.