1. How long have you been a member of CrossFit Northland?
2. What brought you into CFN?
I had a strong desire to improve my overall health/fitness and body shape. This was for me 100%, but I have a responsibility to my family to be healthy as well.
3. Tell us about your fitness/health background? (Did you play sports growing up? Try other gym settings? Workout at home?)
I grew up playing football and baseball pretty much year-round. I played basketball for 1 year in the 5th grade until I realized that basketball wasn’t a sport, but just a fun hobby. I wrestled for a few years in high school and then in my adult life played flag football for about 8 years. I had joined 2 other “big box” gyms in the past. I think I went to those a total of about 10 times. I bought a weight set and started working out at home, but that was not something that I kept up on a regular basis.
4. What are some changes you’ve noticed in yourself during your time here at CFN? (Physically, mentally, capabilities, daily life, etc.)
Without a doubt, I am the strongest I have ever been in my life at this moment. Part of that can be attributed to gaining “old man strength” that is something that just comes with age, but I have learned how to exercise at CFN, which has made me mentally stronger in regards to wanting to continue working out.
5. What kinds of things can you do now, that you were not able to do when you first started CrossFit? (inside or outside of the gym).
I’m not sure if there is anything that has changed in this category, except that it just feels that everything has become easier. This is in regards to yard work, riding my mountain bike, working on my house, etc.…
6. What motivates you and keeps you coming back for more week after week?
For sure all the sweet apparel that becomes available throughout the year! In seriousness though, I feel happy about myself and the improvements I have made this year. I actually have fun exercising now, which is something that has always been a mental block for me to work out. But 40 years from now, it will bring me great joy to watch everyone do birthday burpees with me just like they did this year to make it special!
7. In your opinion, what is the most valuable aspect of CrossFit Northland?
Besides the obvious choice of getting healthier, the most valuable aspects are the friendships that I have gained and the competitive spirit of everyone wanting you to succeed.
8. What do you hope to accomplish in your next 3 months here at CFN?
My goal is to be able to Rx every workout. This goes for both weight and reps. I’m currently able to Rx a good amount of them, but there are some stubborn movements that I need to work on to get all the way there.
9. What is one piece of advice you’d give to someone that is considering joining a CrossFit gym?
Don’t be afraid of other people seeing you fail. That is what kept me from joining a CrossFit Gym, as I was scared of strangers seeing that I wasn’t lifting as much weight as them, or couldn’t always complete a workout at the same level. Those fears quickly vanished after a few classes and others would cheer you on as you were striving to get better. You will not find a better gym environment anywhere else.