KANSAS CITY CHIEFS 2020
The Chiefs are headed to the Super Bowl and it seems like everyone in Kansas City is hosting a party, going to a party, and/or thinking about all the food they can consume during this VERY important football game.
While this is an exciting culmination to a great football season for Kansas City I am certain you all won’t mind if I remind you that your own personal goals matter on this day also. Much like this Super Bowl appearance has been years in the making, you have been working towards your health and fitness goals for a significant amount of time and now is not the time to throw it all out the window.
You can still enjoy the party and hopefully a Chief’s win by keeping those goals in the forefront of your mind and planning ahead.
Are you hosting a Super Bowl party?
You can be a super host by providing delicious treats while helping your guests have the opportunity to make choices.
- Bring out the veggies.
- Filling up those buffets with colorful veggies will allow your guests (and yourself) the opportunity for filling up on some low calorie options alongside a few higher calorie treats. Veggies also make great vehicles for dip! Some yummy dipping veggies include cucumbers, bell peppers, broccoli, celery, cauliflower, zucchini, and carrots.
- Serve up topping choices on the side
- Give your guests the option to choose toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, onions, tomatoes, hot sauce, etc. This way they can be in charge of what kind of calories they want to add.
- Make substitutions
- Do you have a favorite dip that everyone loves? Would it be just as tasty with 0 fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream?
- Try using an air fryer or baking your wings, fries, and jalapeno poppers instead of deep frying.
- Does a Super bowl party really need dessert? The win will be sweet enough.
- Provide an alcohol alternative like sparkling water. Sparkling water can also be a great low calorie drink mixer for your guests who choose to have a beverage.
Are you going to a Super Bowl party?
Be smart…don’t fall into the goal of a food smorgasbord.
- Eat a balanced meal before you go.
- Be full. Be content. Be well nourished. You will be less tempted by the junk food.
- Be the friend that brings the veggie tray and the Greek yogurt based party dip.
- No one wants to be the party pooper in the corner not eating and telling everyone you are on a “diet”. Fill that plate up with veggies and a protein based dip and enjoy!
- Use the T Plate method.
- Are you looking at a table full of wings, dip, cookies, and chips? Grab your plate and fill ¼ of it up with a protein, ¼ of it up with a treat, and ½ of it up with veggies and fruit.
- Check out all your options. Decide what you really want and have it in an appropriate serving size!
- Alternate water and alcoholic beverages and choose low calorie mixers.
GO CHIEFS and GO NUTRITION GOALS!!!!! Here at CFN we are all about balancing life with wellness. Go enjoy your party AND keep your eye on your goals.
Here are some recipe ideas we think look pretty tasty:
CFN Nutrition Coach