Name: Dustin McDaniel
Occupation: Location Manager – Midwest Block
- How long have you been a member of CrossFit Northland?
I started in March of 2021, so almost a year and a half.
- What brought you into CFN?
Kind of embarrassing, but one day I was bent over tying my shoes and realized I was out of breath. My gut had tried to suffocate me. So I decided I had to make some changes. Just so happened my good buddy Jake Miller had been suggesting I come try CFN with him, so I decided to give it a shot.
- Tell us about your fitness/health background? (Did you play sports growing up? Try other gym settings? Workout at home?)
I played sports growing up, was always pretty active, and worked out pretty regularly till about 10 years ago. We had just had our second kid, I was still in law enforcement working crazy hours, and I just got lazy and stopped doing much of anything fitness wise. Tried to get back into it a few times, but I didn’t stick with anything longer than a few weeks till I found CFN.
- What are some changes you’ve noticed during your fitness journey at CFN (Physically, mentally, capabilities, daily life, etc.)
Physically, I have gained a ton of strength and mobility since I started. I can also tie my shoes now without worrying about suffocating 🙂. Mentally, it’s hard to explain, but my mindset has changed a ton for the better since I started. Overall, I really feel like the younger version of myself again. I’m getting back to my old, active ways. It’s amazing how much change a little consistency can make.
- What is your favorite part of CFN?
The people here are awesome! Coaches and members alike. Everyone is rooting for each other and it really makes it a great environment to be a part of. I also love that I can come in and have a workout already planned for me. I don’t have to try to come up with something on my own. I just show up, listen to the instructions, and do the work.
- What motivates you and keeps you coming back for more week after week?
Thinking about where I came from, and where I’ll be if I keep at it. Plus, there’s just no better feeling than laying there on the floor, completely exhausted after a workout, knowing you gave it everything you had.
- If you could have one super power, what would it be?
I’d like to be able to time travel. Just so I can go back in time, find the person who invented burpees, and tell them exactly what I think of them. And maybe go buy some Bitcoin when it first came out.
- What is one piece of advice you’d give to someone that is considering joining a CrossFit gym?
Do it now! It’ll be the best decision you ever make for yourself. Then once you start, just keep at it. You’ll be surprised how quickly you start seeing progress.