- Tell us how your journey with CrossFit Northland began? How long have you been a member of CrossFit Northland? What brought you into CFN?
I came to Crossfit Northland because my fitness had been put on the back-burner for many years. I had a traditional gym membership, but my attendance was sporadic and programming non-existent. When I did make it into the gym, I just sort of made things up. I was getting older and what I was doing for fitness was just not cutting it. After doing some research into this Crossfit thing, I found the nearest box and called them up. I was hooked after my first workout.
- Tell us about your fitness/health background? (Have you always been active? Played sports growing up? Tried other gym settings? Workout at home?
Before Crossfit, I enjoyed sports and exercise, but I was never a competitive-level athlete. My closest experience to competitive sports was high school football, riding in my university’s cycling club, and playing rugby in law school.
- What kinds of things can you do now, that you were not able to do when you first started CrossFit? (inside or outside of the gym)
The great thing about Crossfit is that it gives you a general readiness for life. If I want to do a triathlon, run a 5k, or compete in a local Crossfit competition, the fitness that Crossfit gives allows me the freedom to sign up and do these things any time. Before Crossfit, I would have to dedicate serious time and effort to train and get ready. Crossfit not only gives me the fitness to handle life’s everyday challenges, it gives me the opportunity to go on adventures and squeeze every drop out of life.
- What is a favorite memory you have at CFN?
Getting together to watch the Open announcements! Man I miss the old Games format that started with the Open and allowed everyone in the world to test themselves with the best. Not only was it great for the sport as a whole, but it was great for our box too. We could all commiserate together, cheer together, and struggle together.
- What does your favorite workout consist of?
Any workout with movements that I dread. One of my favorite parts of Crossfit is challenging that voice in my head that complains and doubts and proving to myself that I can do it. I like workouts where I can defy my expectations and push myself further than I thought possible. Fran would be a good example of one of those workouts.
- In your opinion, what is the most valuable aspect of Crossfit Northland?
The community! Hands down the most valuable aspect of CFN is the sense of community. We’re all there for the same reason. Everyone helps and encourages each other. This makes a real difference in my results that I don’t get that from a global gym or from working out at home.
- What would you tell someone that is considering joining a CrossFit gym?
Once you get going, you’ll wish you started years ago.
- If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
Jedi mind trick.